Thread: Storage - contributing to errors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum Member

Storage - contributing to errors

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good learning toolkit regarding the appropriate storage of medicines. I have repeated errors where incorrect storage is a factor and am in process of developing my own learning resources, but to save time and get new ideas on how to convey the message .....anyone willing to share previous successes? I have a building library of photos with keen technicians taking good and poor examples. Would be grateful to hear from you and willing to share other items I have done.
    BW.

Forum Member
    If you could give examples of the types of errors you have seen- and then perhaps we could discuss approaches?
    I have attached a WHO document found on the internet that might help with good practices for medicines.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Member
    Ward stock in POD lockers - incorrect co-careldopa /co-beneldopa
    Non separation of externals - surgical spirit with simple linctus
    Multiple of omitted medicines as not put in correct place
    Glucagon not found in 3 fridges
    Administered other patient medicines

Forum Member
    So perhaps this requires a visual management approach to your stock handling? ( you'll have to forgive me but I have no knowledge of pharmacy practices). However, when my team first started to sort out similar blood related problems , I found a lot of info on the internet on Kaizan/ 5S approach to training and making the environment/ storage areas easier for staff to notice and prevent errors
    1. Ward stock in POD lockers- try identifying ward stocks- coloured stickers/labels? ( not sure if your regulations allow this)
    2.non separation of externals: use of trays/ baskets to separate
    3. omitted meds- not in the correct place- again stickers on the boxs to identify as ward stock or use of a checklist ( I know staff hate these, but it works)
    4. Glucagon not found- again a checklist approach.
    5 Administration of other patient meds- this is down to basic checking practices. Do nursing staff read out a loud patient details/ are they being distracted?
    Also, you could contact your Blood bank manager and maybe work together on some of these things?
    bw