Thread: Reviewing UKTLC Standards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum Member

updating on progress

Just to update you on the progress with revising the UKTLC Standards, 2014 - we are also looking to change the name

UK Transfusion Laboratory Collaborative: minimum standards for staff qualifications, training, competency and the use of information technology in hospital transfusion laboratories2014

to something along the lines of:

Quality Standards for Transfusion Laboratories: Assuring Patient & Staff Safety

The TLC group would appreciate your comments on both the name and current content– so please post any ideas or suggestions to improve this. This is your chance to be involved and influence what goes in these revised standards before we complete the draft.

Many thanks!
    Rashmi

Forum Member
    Rashmi
    Sounds Good. We need some tie in with the original re qualifications/experience and what is expected from e.g. MHRA of a person in day to day charge of running a hospital blood bank. I think there was a document linked with SABRE registration or am I getting old?? And then agreement on the structure below. Question; would transfusion practitioners (SPOTS) be expected to be part of the laboratory? Ours are soon to move to a different division but do the same, as you describe, important job linking between us and the wards. I look on the BBM role as being like a PUB with your name over the door as the registered (licensed) person.
    happy Easter All
    Simon

Forum Member
    Thanks for your comments Simon, and I hope you had a good Easter break too- it’s nice to see the daffodils out at last.

The guidance and intent of the original document will remain unchanged but we want to include every regulation, guideline, standard, HSC BBT 1,2,3 that exists, ( the SABRE stuff I believe is part of one of the other directives that shaped the BSQR?). The TPs regardless of where they sit in an organisation are part of laboratory activities particularly for haemovigilance, and work with the BBM- so they should be part of this team, at least in the definition.

I like your pub analogy, though the CEO is the publican who needs to keep the bar in order – I’m just a pint puller!

bw

Forum Member
    I would contend that we are a little higher than just pint pullers! More the Publican/Tenants with the CEO's being more like the Brewery Managers?
    Thoughts on TP's appreciated.

BW