Thread: Overlap of samples

Forum Member

Overlap of samples

Regarding the timing of samples - if a patient has been transfused within the last 3 months the sample has to be within three days of the planned transfusion. I just wondered if anyone accepts overlap samples. So for example if a sample was received on Day 1 and blood was crossmatched and transfused, then blood was required 3 days later (which would be day 4) would you accept a sample bled on day 2 to crossmatch this blood?

Forum Member
    We could have a long debate on this! Potentially yes, as the requirement is for the antibody screen to be valid for 72hrs.
    Though I must admit to having concern about some category of patients, particularly SCD with allo-antibodies, and who could be more sensitive to forming additional weird and wonderful antibodies in a short time, though I am sure the BSH writing groups would have looked into these scenarios.
    Why not give the BSH writing group members a call as I believe they are in the process of updating these guidelines?

Forum Member
    Hello, we worked with laboratory tests (as interns) at YourHormones labs last month. We lacked these guidelines, particularly, the timing of samples selected for crossmatching or antibody screening.
    Guidelines for pre‐transfusion compatibility procedures in blood transfusion laboratories:
    3.7. Timing of sample collection in relation to previous transfusions

Access via: Guidelines for pre‐transfusion compatibility procedures in blood transfusion laboratories via virtual essaytyper