Thread: Blood Technical Agreements

Forum Member

Blood Technical Agreements

We are intending to supply group O red cells and A FFP to the lab of a private provider to cover specific patient blood loss events only, and there is no testing of the patient sample involved, do I need to record this on the annual BCR?

For traceability purposes, would it be acceptable for us to document the units on our LIMS as being transferred to hospital X only , and the responsibility of hospital X to record final fating of the unit ?

As there is no testing of samples involved, can I assume that there would be no need for hospital X to record this arrangement on the BCR under section S – Work contracted to third parties?

Thank you.

Forum Member
    I would record on the lab submission, in the section related to distribution.
    For Traceability - I would expect the confirmation of transfusion to be returned to the supplying lab- but however you manage it... this arrangement and agreement of responsibilities must be very clear in your technical agreement- so should transport/cold chain/blood storage equipment management/sabre reporting. Also the arrangements for how blood is managed is its not transfused i.e will you return it to stock if returned to lab.
    If your lab is supplying to hospital x why would hospital x be completing a BCR?- the guidance notes for 2016 completion of a BCR page 2 might be helpful here. Hospital X might not be a hospital blood bank but a blood facility- but again that's down to how your responsibilities have been agreed within the technical agreement.

also.. if hospital x decides it wants to put the blood in a fridge ( one it manages according to the technical agreement) you will need to make sure you have done some due diligence around that piece of equipment ( to the same level you would for any fridge within your own lab or hospital) and make sure you have visibility of temperature mapping, calibrations, daily temps and thermographs.
    Last edited by EClarke; 4th Feb 2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: update

Forum Member
    Hospital X has a Blood transfusion lab, and submits annual BCR- but doesn't stock sufficient red cells/ FFP to cover large bleeds, so they are not a facility. Also, we are not intending to receive the units back if unused, and these will go into their stock and could be given to another patient or discarded. I want to record this as transferred to hospital X on our LIMS, and it is for them to provide details of forward traceability. This is a formal arrangement, unlike emergency transfer of labelled blood for a named patient to another hospital.

I suppose on the next BCR they could record this as a Change, but was unsure if they had to record in section S of their BCR.

Many thanks for your reply.