Thread: Is 'request form' a requirment to identify a pateint before transfuison sampling?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum Member
    Not entirely sure what PDA labelled is? With IT we are entering into a brave new world, which isn't always a good thing! Unless it is done with considered steps.
    If using a full ICE system the form could be electronic? Scanning at the Bedside of the patients wrist band might instruct the sample taker to take a sample for Transfusion and contemporaneously produce a printed label with PID and Lab no. included....Ahhh.
    BUT whether electronic or hard copy the request MUST be timed prior to taking the sample.
    Practically here we sometimes have that problem as a Dr may complete the request a day before taking, this is where the manual sign off on the form comes in as that MUST match what is written on the sample.

Forum Member
    We have only electronic copies now. I can share a file of the Procedure for Sample Collection and Blood Transfusion (pdf). The Sample acceptance policy shouldn't differ much I think. But you need to clarify this with the IT dep.
    Last edited by Shirley-Stagg; 23rd Jul 2021 at 02:10 PM.